Chapter 14. Graduated from IWS room, coming into the infirmary room

I spent 4 days at IWS room with three hoses connected to my stomach so I had to remain sleeping on my back. After the nurse calculated the number of blood and other body fluids that came out of my body remained 30 ml a day, she summoned the surgeon on call. Doctor Dhany, as the would-be cardiac surgeon came to my bed, came to my bed intending to pull out the three hoses which were connected to my stomach. The surgeon, wearing a cream-colored latex gloves, smeared some liquid, kind of iodine tentir to the three holes in my stomach, he asked me to take a deep breath … and …. voila… the tubes in the stomach then released one by one.

The most complicated thing was when dr. Dhany wanted to release the IV tube in my left thigh, which was called ABB (perhaps an abbreviation of “Arteri Besar Berbahaya”  – for The Dangerous Great Artery). To pull it out, dr. Dhany asked me to take a deep breath, then pulled out the small tube that was plugged into my left thigh within a few seconds. Since the artery in my left thigh was a great artery, to prevent the blood from my left thigh did not squirt out, dr. Dhany pressed my left thigh with all his weight which was probably about 170 pounds! The pressuring wasn’t for a moment, but about 20 minutes. I then grimaced to endure the pain in my left thigh. After the blood from my left thigh stopped flowing, dr. Dhany put a piece of cotton which on top of it was placed a kind of rubber tape which was thick and strong. It was like “+” lines with a thickness of about 7 cm. Not stopping here, dr. Dhany then pressed the hole trace on my left thigh using a small sack of sand and I was ordered not to release it before at least 2 hours had elapsed. I still remember that day, it was Friday morning, and I started being pressed by the sand sack at 10.00 and since it was Friday prayer, the male nurse who was in charge for lifting that of sand sack, arrived at 12.30 and it was totally removed from my left thigh at 13:00. 3 hours being pressed by a sand sack which its weighs was approximately 40 pounds … was quite painful …

Since this Friday afternoon, I could sleep on my left or right sideway because the 3 hoses which connected to my stomach had been removed, as well as the small tube in my left thigh … I then felt happy – pleased, to be exact – because it was a rapid progress for my health. I also could sleep more soundly and comfortably than when I sleep only on my back. The wound on my chest’ operation trace also had been replaced a few times, day by day, the bandage got smaller and simpler.

However, the progress of the removal of the 3 hoses in my stomach and the small hose in the left thigh was not followed by the immediate removal of me to the infirmary room, a sign of “upgrading” once again. I didn’t know what was the exact reason, but from the nurse whispers that I heard, the reason was because there was no vacant room, so that’s why the ex Post Ops patient who wanted to “upgrade” to the treatment room was slightly hung up. But, usually at weekend, there were a lot of patients who came from outside cities of Jakarta, returned to their homelands, and there was a tendency for the cardiologists to “let go” the patients from the hospital on Friday because on Saturday and Sunday the cardiologists got off and they usually didn’t do the visitation to the patients.

So, no wonder if I was still staying in this Post Ops room. Then something happened, I didn’t know what it was, and I was transferred to the Pre Ops infirmary room!! It’s really confusing, since I as a patient who had heart surgery and inhabited the Post Ops room suddenly transferred to the Pre Ops room, it meant, I was back into the room before my surgery! I then didn’t talk a lot, except just following what the nurses said. Without I asking, the nurse who transferred me answered, “Umm, Sir … you are temporarily transferred into the Pre-Ops room, while waiting if there is an empty space in the treatment room…” I then nodded by winking. After all, the Pre-Ops room was far better that the Post-Ops room which there were so many patients were bleeding, their chests bandaged, and some of them liked to moan and groan when awake or asleep….

As I recalled, at Sunday evening, I was transferred from the Post-Ops room to the pre-Ops room which was quieter because my neighbors were the patients who were preparing for the operation next day. I then was able to sleep soundly…

And only on the Sunday afternoon, I was picked up by the wheel-carrying officer who told me that he was ordered to take me to the post cardiac surgery room in the infirmary room on the sixth floor of Building II. I then accompanied by my brother in-law, Cipto packed up my stuffs and moved from Pre-Ops room to the post surgery infirmary room….. (To be continued)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: